Friday 18 April 2014

Evidence, where?


What should we take into account when considering which way to vote?  I like evidence, I really do, but trying to find factual information to allow a decision one way or another is so difficult.

I started with the accounts for Scotland for the past few years.  These are devoid of political spin, they provide a good level of detail on the economy of Scotland.  It even provides two views of the finances, one including oil and one excluding the oil revenues.  Great, but I do not make decisions solely upon my current financial standing, if only I did I think the bank would like me more.

Anyway I had a read over the Weir Report. I liked it, or rather I liked the fact that it seemed that there was no political tinkering in its content.  Are there any more like this?  There are a couple which are obviously tilted towards one outcome or the other.  If you have found some please let me know.

So like I said a view of the finances, the current account for Scotland, is a good starting point.  However this is backward looking, it does not take into account any policies which may be implemented that could effect the situation.  It merely provides the evidence that the status quo is not enough.  That we have to have new ideas to ensure the stability of the economy.  Independent or not, if we are broke then what would be the point?

The White Paper attempts to provide the SNP view of what Scotland would look like once independent, however there is nothing in the paper that explains what will be done different to ensure our economic survival.  It is bland, we need a view of the potential future that really captures the attention of the electorate.

Yes or No, it is not about passion, or polarized views based upon history.  It is about considering the evidence, so that whatever our decision it is at least an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment